Coaching for Employee Performance & Engagement
Coaching to enhance Employee Engagement & Performance (2-day program)
“To create a high performing team, we must replace typical management activities like supervising, checking, monitoring and controlling with new behaviours like coaching and communicating.”
-Ray Smith, CEO Bell Altantic
Performance Management and People Management is not the sole responsibility of HR function but an indispensable function of every Leader and Manager to lead, manage, develop and inspire their people to grow and glow. Ongoing, real-life and regular performance management coaching, career coaching, feedback and feedforward sessions between superiors and their reporting staff will be part of leadership and supervision which also enhance performance of the employees, teams and organisation’s employee engagement.
Instead of instructing, checking and controlling, it is critical for Leaders and Managers to adopt coaching, stay interview and feedback as a leadership style in managing staff’s performance and development. Through coaching and stay interview, leaders can bring out the best of their people, develop and stretch their potential to reach organisation’s goals, and achieve business and performance outcomes. Leaders who coach and provide regular feedback to their staff will lead to an interactive and positive working relationship. They can also jointly identify issues, set mutually agreed performance goals and outcomes, discover the strengths and areas for improvement, co-create action plans and commit to fulfil their actions.
As coaching, feedback and career conversations are the key competencies of an Effective Leader/Manager, what is the mindset of your Leaders and Managers with regards to conduct performance coaching and feedback regularly?
How well-equipped are they in conducting effective coaching sessions, stay interview, constructive feedback and feedforward that motivate their people to performance effectively and stretch their development and potential?
What needs to be done to initiate, implement and sustain an effective coaching and feedback system and culture in the organisation?
Benefits of this Program
At the end of the program, participants will
- Identify the purpose and benefits of providing performance coaching and feedback as a leader
- Use coaching for performance, career conversations, career development and “stay” interview
- Acquire a growth mindset and essential skills for effective coaching and feedback
- Practice coaching using “Whole-Brain” thinking and breakthrough coaching questions
- Apply Coaching framework in various coaching situations with your subordinates
- Give positive and constructive feedback that ignite passion and motivate the staff
- Identify the process initiating, implementing and sustaining an effective coaching and feedback culture in the organisation
Day 1 morning
Session 1: Fundamentals of Coaching for Performance Management and Employee Engagement
- Discuss the upcoming trends in Performance Management and Performance Appraisal review, implications and changes needed for the organisation, HR, leaders and employees
- Setting specific and stretched performance targets/KPIs and outcomes
- Debunk the common myths of coaching- what is coaching and what is not coaching
- Identify the purpose and benefits of coaching to be an effective leader and manager
- Understand the role of a Leader in providing real-time, regular and consistent Performance Coaching and feedback
- Understand the concept and importance of “Career conversations” and “Stay interview” in employee engagement
Session 2 : Essential Coaching Skills and Techniques
- Discover ways to inculcate a positive mindset amongst the supervisors when coaching and giving feedback
- Understand the benefits of Asking versus telling and active and key listening skills in coaching sessions
- Practice the type of coaching questions, how and when to use these questions, uncovering assumptions, blind-spots and seek clarity
- Apply The G.R.O.W. coaching framework to conduct an effective coaching session by enabling the coachee to mutually set clear and achievable goals
Day 1 Afternoon
Session 3: Structured Coaching Framework (Practical session)
- Discover the type of coaching questions at each stage of the coaching framework
- Enable the coachee to assess his current situation through reality check
- Co-explore possible options to reach coaching goal(s)
- Identify and overcome possible barriers to reach the goal(s)
- Agree upon the coaching commitment, follow-up actions and timeline
- Identify ways to manage challenging coachee , negative and underperforming staff
Session 4: Apply Coaching Conversations and Other Coaching Tools
- Incorporate whole brain thinking to understand the various personalities of your coachee
- Practice GROW coaching through role plays that depict real life examples of poor and underperformer and situations of various staff personalities (All participants will practice their coaching skills in this role plays)
- Identify ways to motivate coaches who have the potential to do well or assume higher responsibilities
- Feedback and observations from the coaching experience as a coach, coachee and observer
Day 2 Morning
Session 5: Giving Feedback, Feedforward and Competencies Development
- Apply “mini-coaching” and feedback sessions regularly as a leader and manager in your daily supervision
- Discover and overcome your coaching “roadblocks” and blind-spots
- Overcome coachee who are reluctant to be coached
- Overcome the challenges in giving negative feedback
- Identify ways to give positive and constructive feedback to your staff using Situation Behaviour Impact
- Practice giving feedback and feedforward in various work and people situations
- Discover ways to give feedback upwards to your superiors
- Igniting passion through “Motivation and Appreciation” at work
Session 6: Career Conversations
- Understand how leaders can help your employees to grow and glow
- Acquire skill-sets to conduct career coaching as part of career development
Day 2 Afternoon
Session 7: What’s next after coaching?
- Identify the roles of the leader in supporting the coaching commitment and action plan
- Apply the Skill-Will framework to help the coachee to achieve the coaching goal(s) and outcomes
Session 8: Initiate, implement & sustain a Coaching & Feedback Culture
- Identify the phases of initiating, implementing and sustaining an effective coaching and feedback culture
- Overcome the challenges in each of the phases
- Manage and prepare the various stakeholders in the organisation for regular coaching and feedback
- Implement effective change management to overcome transition and resistance towards change
Session 9: The Coaching Journey
- Sharing of successful personal Coaching experiences
- The Coaching Commitment and Practicum
For Post Training effectiveness & application Practicum (1 Month after the program)
- Participants will be given a post training assignment to coach their staff within the next 1 month after the program to ensure immediate practice and application of coaching their staff.
- A 1-day focus group will be facilitated within 1-2 months after the program for the participants. They will share about their real coaching experience, the successful coaching cases, how coaching has changed their leadership style and working relationship with their staff and how to overcome the challenges they face after they have coached a staff.
- Role play on real life examples which include participants actual situation at the workplace
- Case studies
Leaders and Managers who have supervisory role leading and managing people
Comments from Corporate Clients and Participants
Jasmine facilitated the program – Coaching for Performance for us back in July 2018. Through this learning, it provided a deeper insight for our team on how to effectively coach an individual to unearth their laden potential, which is applicable for them, both at work and at home. The individuals are able to heighten life skills as they progress through their lives.
The different coaching skills share are enlightening and practicums are customized for adoption by individuals back at their respective workplace. The program was well curated with meaningful interactive activities and practical insight which is very encouraging for the team to keep practicing and helping others to develop at the same time. Thank you, Jasmine.